Tuesday, March 30, 2010


Yesterday when I got off the computer I put away all the leftover blue beads and then began to try to figure out what new project to take up. I noticed that I probably had enough green beads to do a big green necklace, but decided that I had done enough of that and should start something new - maybe something small.
In going through my beads I found the above little turquoise necklace. I thought it was a great idea for a simple choker and decided to try to make it. I love the way one end is a loop and the other end is just one thread for the button, but together there are three strands.
There is some secret in the necklace because when I twist the three stands together they only stay twisted as long as I hold both ends. Let go and thing flips apart into straight strands. I tried and tried and finally gave up and just braided it. Then I tried making a brick-stitch bracelet that would not bend right.
About 4 o'clock I realized why I was so frustrated and nothing was working. I was working on the wrong thing! The green necklace wanted to be made. So I gathered up the beads and then realized I had no focal point - I had used up all the bone ones. I sat there being seriously grumpty when my eye moved to the desk where I had one of the embellished fish that was unfinished. The color was right but for some reason I had been unable to add the belly gills. Excellent! I could work it into the big necklace better if that option was open.
By 10:30 it was a marvelous new necklace. It only took six hours to make this one (Werner made soup for supper) when the one I did last Thursday took over 12 hours.
So today, when I put away the green left-overs I listened to the whisper of an idea to do a pink one and I remembered that I had a bunch of large pink stones. I found them and they are marvelous! Am so eager to get to this.
However Jim is coming to install more 'new' track lighting in the studio today. I don't know if I can do a necklace with someone else around. Somehow I have the feeling that if I stop at any point in making the necklace I will lose my direction and the spirit that helps me pick which bead goes next to the other.
I am eager to get the new lighting. I hope he does not trip over the ants. We have gotten them stopped in the house but now the studio is my new battleground. Earth worms crawl in from the rain and the ants think of them as deli sausage and invite in all the neighbors.