Wednesday, February 10, 2010


I am thinking of pieces of my beading with flowers that can go into the Point Arena "Flower Power" show in the middle of March. So I have done these needlecases with the spiral stitch that I love to make. These are done with hex cut 11s and Delicas. The wooden cases are 3.5 inches long, but the whole thing finishes out at 5 inches. I really, really enjoy the process of embellishing. It is such a joy to see a place in the design and then look to the tray and find the exact bead that fits in the spot. This process gives me unbelievable joy! It is like recognizing a need and at the same instant finding its fulfillment.
On my beading tray now are the shorter, 2 inch cases, which I am doing in Delica hex cuts and 15s. They are so small I can only work on them in the daylight so I need to find another project for the evening hours this week. Hmmmm.
Had a local jeweler/artist use fairly strong language with and about me because my prices are too low. I am thinking that $25 each is enough for me for these needlecases, but others in the show will probably want me to charge $35. It has been suggested to me, by the out-spoken artist, that I allow other persons to set my prices. How would I feel if the work did not sell at those prices?
Also, in the show she was complaining about how my prices ruined her sales, she sold one item for $35 and I sold over $800. Did my lower prices "ruin" her sales or were my prices just right because I sold so much of the work? Am really having a debate with myself over the price issue.
While talking to another person, who had just told me my prices were too low, I saw her face when she asked me the price of an item she wanted. Even though she said my prices were too low, when it came to quoting her a price for her item, she was delighted I was asking so little because suddenly it seemed she could afford the necklace. However! she did not buy it. She only had a look of wanting on her face.