Tuesday, March 6, 2012



I have been so occupied with work in, for and with the Coast Highway Art Collective that I forgot the good news I got on Friday. This necklace, titled "Destination Gualala" took First Place in the "Small Works" exhibit at Gualala Arts Center. What a big surprise! Already at the opening Bruce Jones gave me a check for $100. I am donating it back to Gualala Arts by designating it for a new category in the entries for Art in the Redwoods called - you guessed it! - Small Works. I feel this will give the beaders a better chance to shine in that great big show.
In the past we beaders have been up against the gold and silver smiths in Jewelry (rare is the judge who would pick glass beads and stones over precious metals). If we entered in the sculpture category we were up against big bronzes. Even if we entered the Glass category we were up against large stained glass windows. There was lots of interest in the "Small Works" show - they had 143 entries! - so I am hoping this success will carry over into Art in the Redwoods.