Sunday, July 25, 2010

Mike Hanson teaching Lorenzo, our newest member! Lorenzo makes earrings which he sells in Point Arena at Roots. He got acquainted at the car show last weekend. So even though the event was not what we wanted according to sales, it did get Lorenzo hooked into the group. Debbe is his closest neighbor so she has also introduced him to lampworking. The shoulder belongs to Vicki who handles our orders with Fire Mountain.


Here is Mike with his daughter Christina. She has benefited from Mike's 'lessons' at home. She told me how better to roll my cane - with the palms instead of fingers to get even pressure. How quickly she saw what was being a problem for me. Her 'rose' (IMHO) was the very best one of the day!

What a great class Mike gave us on polyclays! He is a very good glass artist, but he took things he knows from making glass canes to show us how to make polyclay canes. Super teacher Mike is, and the hints and helps he gave us were so much more than one gets from reading books!
Mike lead us in making a tiny, tiny rose. Only when he was done did I realize that he had showed us how he and Debbe make those tiny roses on their lampworked beads.
I got to the class late because I started out so early. Thus I took the ridge road which is safer for me to drive than Highway One. As I flew by Bower Park I saw Judy with her stand at the flea market. So I turned around to see her. Yes, she knew of the class, but because we had changed the date, had forgotten it was today. Naturally we started to talk about the class and she came to the car to see the canes I had made. I had left them at home!
So I turned around, went back home to get them and ended up being 1/2 hour late to the class. The others were already into blending their colors and I, breathless and jagged from all the driving, simply could not get started. At some point I joined in with one of my error canes, but when I finally saw what the others made, I was sorry I had not made the effort to catch up with them and follow instructions.
I will see what I can remember and really try to do a proper rose cane today.